The Little Owl School Blog is written and managed by the educators and staff serving the families of Little Owl School in Long Beach, California.
Our team is influenced by and greatly respects the philosophy and educators of the schools in Reggio Emilia, Italy. We believe that the heart of children’s learning is play. It is through self-initiated play that they develop physical, cognitive, social and emotional skills and grow into critical thinkers. We know that children are active, sensory learners and need to be provided with an environment that allows various opportunities for exploration, investigation, social interaction and problem solving. We feel it is through relationships, with people and materials, that children develop and construct meaning and a contextual understanding of themselves and the world at large.
The educational philosophy at Little Owl is research driven. It is based on constructivist learning theory that has shown that children learn best by discovering and constructing their own knowledge in an enriched environment. We aim to provide the kind of diverse experiences that will effectively help young children in ways that are lasting and foster a life-long love of learning. It is through these active learning experiences that higher order abstract thinking is acquired, which is an essential component of creative problem-solving.
Little Owl is a consortium of parents, teachers, and community members dedicated to the education of children through social constructivism, environmentalism, and a Reggio Emilia-inspired philosophy.
We strive to provide a place of well-being for children, families, our teachers and staff and to serve as a resource for our peers as we work for positive social change in education.
This place is for the child.
These are the values that guide us:
- We value mindful consideration of each other and the environment.
- We value each person’s presence, feelings, and unique voice.
- We value the innate abilities of children. We see them as artists, risk-takers, dreamers, observers, builders, and critical thinkers.
- We value challenges that ignite our sense of wonder and push us to grow.
- We value the connection between child, family, school, and community as essential to our collective sense of well-being.
- We come together to honor and support every child just as they are. We work to cultivate a sense of belonging and purpose for all.